Monday, November 26, 2012

Advent Reading Plan, Week 1 (Expanded)

I've expanded the Advent Reading Plan to include the theme of the passage (or reason for choosing it), and some ideas on what to pray for afterwards.  Obviously, you do whatever you'd like, but if you need any help, it's there.  The themes may help you know what to look for as you read each day.  Also, on the first day I've added an idea for a song to sing after the reading that relates to the week.  The link is at the bottom of this post with the lyrics so you can sing along

Although advent doesn't technically start until next Sunday (Dec 2), Gabby and I have already started.  Since Christmas is on a Tuesday, it would leave the last week's reading very short.

Here's Week 1:

Day 1 - Gen 2:1-10, 2:15-25
Themes:          The Glory of God's Creation
                       Man and Woman's Creation

Song:               God be merciful to me (Ps. 51)

Prayer Ideas:   Praise God for His Good Creation
                       Mourn over our corruption
Day 2 - Gen 3
Themes:          Satan's deception
                       Man's natural desire for power
                       The Curses on Creation

Prayer Ideas:   Mourn over our sins through Adam
                           Prayer against the deception of Satan

Day 3 - Gen 6:1-13
Themes:          All Mankind was corrupt and evil
                       Noah found favor with God
                       Earth was destroyed

Prayer Ideas:   Praise God for His great redemptive work
                       Praise God for His Lovingkindness towards us.

Day 4 - Ps. 14, 58
Themes:          Our Fleshly wickedness continues
                           God's vengeance is present

Prayer Ideas:   Praise for God's grace and mercy
                       Praise that we will been avenged

Day 5 - Rom 1:18-32
Themes:           We have all exchanged the glory of God
                        We are all without excuse

Prayer Ideas:    Mourn over your past and current
                        wanderings and sins 
Day 6 - Rom 7:7-24
Themes:           We are all incapable of being "good enough"
                        The Law is not sufficient to save

Prayer Ideas:     Praise God for the saving work of Jesus

Day 7 - Ps. 90, 51
Themes:            God is Holy

                         Man is nothing
                         All of our sings are against God

Prayer Ideas:     Praise God for who He is
                         Confess personal sins
 Video and Song:
 
God be Merciful to Me (Ps. 51)

God be merciful to me on Thy grace, I rest my plea
Plenteous in compassion Thou
Blot out my transgressions now

Wash me, make me pure within
Cleanse, oh, cleanse me from my sin

My transgressions I confess
Grief and guilt my soul oppress
I have sinned against Thy grace
And provoked Thee to Thy face

I confess Thy judgment just
Speechless, I, Thy mercy trust

I am evil born in sin
Thou desirest truth within
Thou alone my Savior art
Teach Thy wisdom to my heart

Make me pure, Thy grace bestow
Wash me whiter than the snow

Gracious God, my heart renew
Make my spirit right and true
Thy salvation's joy impart
Steadfast make my willing heart
Steadfast make my willing heart

Broken, humbled to the dust
By Thy wrath and judgment just
Let my contrite heart rejoice
And in gladness hear Thy voice

From my sins, oh, hide Thy face
Blot them out in boundless grace

No comments:

Post a Comment